Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Village Elliot's 2017 NFL Mock Draft


I have Mike Williams as a Top 10 Pick, ahead of his QB, Deshaun Watson. 

    I'm not sure why we make mock drafts, but since many of my friends make them, here's mine to poke fun at too.   This is my guess at the order that the players get picked (not my list of the 32 best players).  I have the Browns taking Myles Garrett.  To be honest, my untrained eyes do not see the same things that the experts see, but almost all of the best experts say Garrett is the top guy in the draft.  I originally had Mitch Trubisky going first overall to the Browns, but after a so-so Sun Bowl performance, I decided he might not be a Hall of Famer after all, and downgraded him to second overall.  Besides the Browns do not really need a quarterback as much as they need to help an underperforming defense and terrible offensive line.  
    But everyone likes to pay special attention to quarterbacks, so here's my reasoning on them.  I like Trubisky because of his accuracy and low INT rate.  I also think his wide receivers were average or below, which is why his stats are not as good as, say, a Big 12 quarterback.     
   I placed Deshaun Watson after Mike Williams of Clemson, who I think is the best NFL prospect on that team.  I figured New Orleans might like him as a Quarterback of the Future, and Sean Payton could cure his interception problems while he learnes under future Hall of Famer Drew Brees.  
     I was thinking of bumping Deshone Kizer all the way to the second round, but I figure his talent level is so high that someone will take a chance on him late in the first round, despite underperforming at Notre Dame. Houston would be a good fit, since that team loves to gobble up quarterbacks almost as much as the Browns.  My take is that in 2016 his receiving talent was not nearly as good as 2015, when the team sent three wideouts to the NFL.    So maybe we can foregive his relatively ordinary stats and focus on his exceptional throwing ability.  

      Conversely I've published that I like Brad Kaaya a lot, but I decided to ding him for being not quite as athletic as his competition.  Like Kizer and Trubisky, his stats are not quite as good as  you would really like to see,  and I think he may not be taken until the second round.  It really looks like a deep draft for quarterbacks, with a lot of raw but under-developed talent in the late rounds.  
    In this year's draft I really like the first half of the first round, and I think there will a drop off after that.  So, when it's the Browns' turn again at number 12,  it would take a pretty good deal to convince me to drop  more than a few places.  For example, I was crazy about Jabrill Peppers until the OSU game, at which time I started questioning whether his true speed is as good as Michigan says (4.3).   If he runs that at the combine, he might reclaim a spot in the Top 5.  I like Ryan Rmczyk of Wisconsin at 12.  The Browns do need a right tackle to stabilize that Offensive Line.   









1BrownsMyles Garrett TAMUDE
2SFMitch TrubiskyUNCQB
3ChiJonathan AllenAlabamaDE
4JacksonvilleTeez TaborFloridaCB 
5TitansMike WilliamsClemsonWR
6JetsLeonard FournetteLSURB
7ChargersJamal AdamsLSUS
8PanthersCam RobinsonAlabama
9BengalsDerek BarnettTennesseeDE
10BillsReuben FosterAlabamaLB
11SaintsDeshaun WatsonClemsonQB
12BrownsRyan RamczykWisconsin
13CardinalsMarshon LattimoreOSUCB
14EaglesJabrill PeppersMichiganS
15ColtsQuincy WilsonFloridaCB
16RavensMalik McDowellMich StDE
17WashingtonTim WilliamsAlabamaLB
18TitansCharles HarrisMissouriDE
19TampaJohn RossWashingtonWR 
20BroncosJarrad DavisFloridaLB
21LionsMarlon HumphreyAlabamaCB
22MiamiOJ HowardAlabamaTE
23GiantsDalvin CookFlorida StateRB  
24RaidersRaekwon McMillanOSULB
25TexansDeShone KizerNDQB
26GBTaco CharltonMichiganDE
27SeahawksCaleb BrantleyFloridaDT
28AtlantaTakkarist McKinleyUCLAOLB
29SteelersDawaune SmootIllinoisOLB
30KCDeMarcus WlakerFlorita StateDE
31CowboysCorey DavisW MichWR
32NEChristian McCaffreyStanfordRB























.

No comments:

Post a Comment